A Parish Nurse is an integrator of faith and health, reminding people to care for their body, mind and spirit. Parish Nurses facilitate understanding and promotion on wellness.
In the Rocky Mountain Synod, parish nurses who serve in congregations are pleased to offer assistance and encouragement to other congregations starting a parish nursing ministry.
What is a Parish Nurse?
- A Parish Nurse is an Integrator of faith and health, reminding people to care for their body, mind and spirit. Parish Nurses will utilize the ELCA Wholeness Wheel to facilitate understanding and promotion on wellness. Examples include: Praying with members in need, offering Healing Services.
- A Parish Nurse is a Health Educator. The nurse educates in all formats, one on one to group seminars. In her teaching, she encourages the understanding to the connection of attitude, faith and wellbeing. Examples include: Arranging adult forums on various health topics, teaching with Sunday school classrooms and confirmation, giving classes on diet and/or exercise.
- A Parish Nurse is a Personal Health Counselor. The nurse discusses health problems with parishioners, giving clarity and support. The nurse makes home, hospital and nursing home visits as needed.
- The Parish Nurse is a Referral Agent. The nurse assists with the network of the health care system, making referrals when necessary. The nurse works with community agencies, establishing resources and networks that assist with the well-being of the congregation.
- The Parish Nurse is a Health Advocate. The nurse assists with healthcare assessments and decisions when requested or needed. At times it may mean going with a member to a MD appointment.
- The Parish Nurse is a Developer of Small Groups. The nurse may develop small group ministry or support groups depending on the needs of the congregation. Groups could include grief support, weight loss, or parenting.
- And Finally the Parish Nurse is the Trainer of Volunteers. Health ministry can not be done with one person. Christ called all to be his disciples of His ministry. The nurse utilizes volunteers to assist in the ministry of health and wholeness.
by El Paso Artist Candy Mayer
“Let your light so shine before others that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven.” Matthew 5:16
ELCA Parish Nursing Association
Christ’s ministry to bring healing to the world continues today. Bringing Parish Nurse Ministry to the congregation fulfills that call.