You are here
Bibliography and Additional Reading
The following books are strongly recommended to be read as assigned throughout the program.
- Bradberry, Travis and Jean Greaves, Emotional Intelligence 2.0, TalentSmart, San Diego, CA, 2009. Participants need an original copy to access the EQ Appraisal found at the back of the book.
- Brown, Brené, Daring Greatly: How the Courage to Be Vulnerable Transforms the Way We Live, Love, Parent, and Lead, Penguin Random House, New York, 2012.
- Friedman, Edwin, A Failure of Nerve: Leadership in an Age of the Quick Fix, Seabury Books, New York, 2007.
- Heifetz, Ronald, Alexander Grashow and Marty Linsky, The Practice of Adaptive Leadership: Tools and Tactics for Changing Your Organization and the World, Harvard Business Press, Boston, 2009.
- Scharmer, Otto, The Essentials of Theory U: Core Principles and Application, Inc. Cambridge, Mass., 2018.
The following additional readings are suggested for exploring the Excellence in Leadership material in deeper ways.
- Brackett, Marc, Permission to Feel, Celadon Books, 2020.
- Lynn, Adele, Quick Emotional Intelligence Activities for Busy Managers, American Management Association, 2007.
- Friedman, Edwin, Friedman’s Fables, The Guilford Press, New York, 1990.
- Friedman, Edwin, Generation to Generation, Guilford Press, 1985.
- Gilbert, Roberta, The Eight Concepts of Bowen Theory, Leading Systems Press, 2004.
- Richaradson, Ronald W., Creating a Healthier Church; Family Systems Theory, Leadership, and Congregational Life, Fortress Press, Minneapolis, 1996.
- Steinke, Peter L., A Door Set Open; Grounding Change in Mission and Hope, The Alban Institute, 2010.
- Steinke, Peter L., Congregational Leadership in Anxious Times; Being Calm and Courageous No Matter What, The Alban Institute, 2006.
Vulnerability & Shame
- Brown, Brené, Braving the Wilderness, Random House, 2017.
- Brown, Brené, Dare to Lead, Random House, 2018.
- Brown, Brené, TED Talk, Listening to Shame, March 2012.
- Brown, Brené, Netflix, The Call to Courage.
- Brown, Brené, The Gifts of Imperfection, Hazelden Publishing, Center City, MN, 2010.
- Neff, Kristin, Self-Compassion: The Proven Power of Being Kind to Yourself, HarperCollins Publishers, New Your, 2011.
- Neff, Kristin and Christopher Germer, The Mindful Self-Compassion Workbook, The Guilford Press, 2018.
- Van der Kolk, Bessel, The Body Keeps the Score: Brain, Mind, and Body in the Healing of Trauma, Penguin Books, 2014.
Organizational Development: Adaptive Leadership & Theory U
- Beaumont, Susan, How to Lead When You Don’t Know Where You’re Going: Leading in a Liminal Season, Rowman & Littlefield Publishers, 2019.
- Bolsinger, Tod, Canoeing the Mountains: Christian Leadership in Uncharted Territory, Intervarsity Press, Downers, Illinois, 2015.
- Cummings and Worley, Essentials of Organizational Development and Change, Southwestern College Publishing, 2001.
- Gallagher, Robert, Fill All Things, Ascension Press, 2008.
- Gardner, Howard, Good Work, Basic Books, 2001.
- Heifetz, Ronald and Marty Linsky, Leadership on the Line, Harvard Business Review Press, Boston, MA, 2017.
- Hill, Linda, TED Talk, How to Manage for Collective Creativity, Sept 2014.
- Leas, Speed, Discover Your Conflict Management Style, Alban Institute, 1997.
- Leas, Speed, Moving Your Church Through Conflict, Alban Institute, 1997.
- Nipper, Darlene, Leading From the Inside Out Podcast, Rockwood Leadership Institute.
- Scharmer, Otto and Katrin Kaufer, Leading from the Emerging Future, Berrett-Koehler Publishers, 2013.
- Scharmer, Otto, Presence: Human Purpose and the Field of the Future,
- Schein, Edgar, Organizational Culture and Leadership, Jossey-Bass, 2004.
- Senge, Peter, The Fifth Discipline, Doubleday, 2006.
- Senge, Peter, The Fifth Discipline Fieldbook, Crown Business, 1994.
Spirituality / Theology
- Alison, James, Undergoing God: Dispatches From The Scene Of A Break-In, The Continuum International Publishing Group Inc, New York, 2006.
- Barton, Ruth Haley, Pursuing God’s Will Together: A Discernment Practice for Leadership Groups, InterVarsity Press, 2012.
- Dougherty, Rose Mary, Discernment: A Path to Spiritual Awakening, Paulist Press, 2009.
- Foster, Richard, Prayer, Finding the Heart’s True Home, Harper San Francisco, 1992.
- Palmer, Parker J, The Active Life: A Spirituality of Work, Creativity, and Caring, Jossey-Bass, 1999.
- Pennington, M. Basil and Thomas Keating, Finding Grace at the Center, St. Bede Publications, 1978.
- Powell, Mark Allen, What do They Hear?, Abingdon Press, 2007.
- Rohr, Richard, Just This: Prompts and Practices For Contemplation, SPCK, 2018.
- Rohr, Richard, The Naked Now: Learning To See As the Mystics See, The Crossroad Publishing Company, New York, 2009.
- Rohr, Richard, The Universal Christ, Convergent Books, 2019.
Year 1 Reading Material
(Sessions #1 – 7)
Year 2 Reading Material
(Session #8 – 14)
To be provided