You are here
Christ's Church, Better Together
In 2017, we completed a strategic planning process that paints a compelling picture of who we are as the Rocky Mountain Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. What we see in this picture is that we are congregations and ministries, we are ministers and leaders, we are partners and people of Christ’s Church who together proclaim and embody God’s unconditional love for the sake of the world.
That’s our mission, that’s our reason for being: to so live in the fullness of God’s love – a love that seeks us out in Jesus, a love that claims and inhabits us through the Holy Spirit, a love that without exception is for each and every person, for each and every part of us – we are called to so live in the fullness of that love that together we proclaim and share and embody it for all people, for the whole creation. Can you think of anything more important, any better reason for getting up each day?
As the ELCA Rocky Mountain Synod, together we proclaim and embody God’s unconditional love – and we do so for the sake of the world, a world that is divided and hurting, a world living in all kinds of death. Ours is a world yearning for new life and hope, which is exactly what we have to offer. We are Christ's Church, Better Together.
The fruit of our work is four Ministry Result Areas:
Interested in the details of how we are called to be Christ's Church, Better Together? Read the Strategic Plan Documents on the right.
Building on the Spirit's work among us -
A Vision for 2019
Beloved in Christ of the Rocky Mountain Synod,
As we begin 2019, know that your Synod Council is engaged in a visioning process that will provide us with a new synod mission plan for the next three years. Building on the Spirit’s work among us, we will continue to focus on the following key areas that empower us to proclaim and embody God’s unconditional love for the sake of the world.
- Claiming Our Gifts - Teach, proclaim and share the significance of our ELCA way of being part of Christ’s Church with a clear and contagious vision from abundance.
- Connecting in Ministry and Witness - Foster a Spirit of active collaboration and intentional connection across our Synod
- Equipping All Leaders - Build healthy and vibrant faith communities by equipping lay leaders, pastors, and deacons for excellence in leadership
- Accompanying One another into God’s Future - Seek and promote new ways of being Christ’s Church together in the world
- Growing in Generosity - Strengthen our financial capacity for ministry and witness relying on a spirituality of generosity and abundance
Your faithful investment in our life together allows this vision to become reality. As you finalize your congregational spending plans for 2019, we ask you to give prayerful consideration to your congregation’s mission support for 2019, knowing that your generosity not only funds our work as a synod but contributes to the impact made by our vast churchwide ministries. Our goal next year is to share 48% of all congregation support with our ELCA Churchwide organization.
Thank you for the many ways that you enable us to live and serve as Christ’s Church, Better Together!
Yours in Faith,
Bishop Jim Gonia
Vice President Earline Bohling