You are here
Peace Not Walls
WHAT CAN WE DO?
No Way to Treat a Child
No Way to Treat a Child campaign seeks to challenge and end Israel’s prolonged military occupation of Palestinians by exposing the widespread and systematic ill-treatment of Palestinian children. Since 1967, Israel has operated two separate legal systems in the same territory. In the occupied West Bank, Israeli settlers are subject to the civilian and criminal legal system whereas Palestinians live under military law.
- Text of the Memorial passed at the May, 2019 RMS Assembly
- Fact sheet to accompany 2019 Memorial
- Watch Detaining Dreams - 15-minute documentary about Palestinian child detentions by Israeli military
- Watch the trailer of documentary film, Imprisoning a Generation
PLAN A FORUM FOR YOUR CONGREGATION:
- Contact a member of the Synod Peace Not Walls planning team for help with ideas
- Watch a film and discuss (Detaining Dreams or another film from No Way to Treat a Child website)
- No Way to Treat a Child: http://www.nowaytotreatachild.org
- Contact Zelda Edmunds to show the 50-minute documentary, Imprisoning a Generation, in your congregation: https://www.anemoia.net
about Palestinians, Palestinian Christians and Lutherans, peace with justice for Palestinians, organizations working for peace
- Use chapters and lessons from Steadfast Hope: the Palestinian Quest for Just Peace or Zionism Unsettled: a Congregational Study Guide
- The Village Under the Forest - the depopulation of Palestinian villages in 1948: https://www.journeyman.tv/film/5897/the-village-under-the-forest
Imprisoning a Generation - detention of Palestinian children: https://www.anemoia.net/imprisoningageneration
This Stones Cry Out - story of Christians in the Holy Land: http://www.thestonescryoutmovie.co
- Watch 1948: Creation and Catastrophe
- Watch The Occupation of the American Mind
Thomas Mass Liturgy
Direct Support to Palestinian Lutheran Ministries
- Opportunity Palestine - supporting Lutheran schools in Bethlehem, Beit Jala, Beit Sahour and Ramallah: http://opportunitypalestine.org.
- Bright Stars of Bethlehem - supporting ministries of Christmas Lutheran Church in Bethlehem - K-12 school and after school programs, elder care programs, Dar Al-Kalima University College and more: http://brightstarsbethlehem.org
WHAT IS PEACE NOT WALLS?
Peace Not Walls connects us with our Palestinian Lutheran companions—promoting dignity, full respect for human rights, healing and reconciliation. With our companions in the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Jordan and the Holy Land (ELCJHL) and the Lutheran World Federation (LWF), we also accompany Palestinians and Israelis, Jews, Christians and Muslims working together for peace with justice. Learn more about the ELCA campaign.
- Contact a member of the synod Peace Not Walls planning team to be added to an email list to receive action alerts
- Sign up for ELCA Peace Not Walls advocacy alerts
Churchwide Assembly Memorials
Some resources and links for your congregation to study the issues and implement the resolutions. Members of the PNW working group (listed below) are available to help you plan.
- Although this is the best way to learn meet Palestinian Christians and learn more, travel is, of course, not possible now during the pandemic.
- Contact Jan Miller for suggested trips or to create one for your congregation
- B'Tselem, the Israeli Information Center for Human Rights
- Haaretz English language newspaper
- JStreet - pro-Israel/pro-peace advocacy
- Al-Jezeera News
- Palestine News Network
- International Middle East Media Center
- Institute for Middle East Understanding
- The Jerusalem Post