Building a Culture of Generosity - A Continuum of Learning
Stewardship for All Seasons (SAS) 3E recruited one of its last formal cohorts for Stewardship for All Seasons with scholarships provided by the Lilly Endowment grant. The value of SAS is evident in the reflections below. The process of getting from “training,” which is about transmitting knowledge or information, to culture-changing “learning,” is about the process of absorbing information to build skills that can be used in a variety of contexts. It is our ongoing hope that SAS has become transformative learning about generosity in our life together.Building a culture isn't easy and it doesn't happen in a one-and-done. Actually it doesn't happen in a many-and-done. It's built on acquired wisdom, shared experiences, storytelling and so much more. 3E Stewardship has provided four programs available to Rocky Mountain Synod congregations of all sizes, locations and situations over the past six years. These programs provide effective training and materials to carry out fruitful, broad-range stewardship programs that enliven a culture of generosity.
Quotes from participating congregation members:
- SAS is more than just a program for stewardship. It has been a blessing to our congregation and changed not just the way we view giving but a start to how we talk about money and more importantly, the ministries it can enable. Please keep it going in RMS!
- You helped me understand how my offering has an impact in the congregation and outside it.
- Learned that we focused on scarcity vs generosity. Totally changed how we look at stewardship and the way we talk and think about money at church.
- SAS provides a year-round plan … to help members live and give generously.
- We used the process to really focus on our mission goals and began communicating more clearly who we are as the people of God and what God called us to do.
- We could tell there was positive, thoughtful movement of the Spirit!
Additional Generosity and Stewardship programs for 2022 included:
- Center for Generosity is an online set of tools (podcasts, videos, documents and consultant office hours) open for individual and group education. You choose and learn at your own pace and explore subjects of interest/concern to your context. It is self-directed and at no cost in 2022.
- Generosity Watch Parties were held in 6 sessions in the first and third quarters of 2022. The first quarter one hour+ Zooms included technical, adaptive and spiritual presentations by various guests. The topics were: Governance, Storytelling, Generosity and the Budget, Practicing Gratitude, Not Stewardship in a Box, and Abundance Mindset.
- Building a Culture of Generosity (BCG) is an online 6 session introduction to begin your culture-changing journey and run a fall appeal.
It is designed for those congregations that have not yet participated in Stewardship for All Seasons (SAS) or may be thinking about SAS in the future.
For information about any of these 3E Stewardship programs, contact Deb Elstad, 3E Associate Director for Stewardship, firstname.lastname@example.org.